mirror zombiesMy reflection stopped talking to me today. I think he's dead.mirror zombies by Morfinwen
Ekim's almost the first thing I see every morning. There's a full-length mirror on my closet door, and my bed is positioned so that when I sit up in the morning I'm staring right at it. When I woke up, Ekim was still there, sitting up at the exact same time in the exact same way – well, not the exact same way. He still sat up and walked around like he's compelled somehow, but if I stopped moving and held still, Ekim wavered a bit, listing back and forth like one of those really tall buildings in a strong wind. When I looked closely at him, like in the smaller neck-up mirror in the bathroom, I could see his eyes were unfocused.
This morning, I thought he was just sick. But he almost always responds when I rap on the mirror, and he always responds if I rap twice. I rapped twice fifteen times, thirty times in all, and he never looked at me.
Then I went to the supermarket. I caught glimpses of him in the glass doors in the
Perhaps the Next Time AroundHe runs into her while traveling through north Texas (rumor has it there’s a functioning military base in Arizona somewhere, and even if it’s as reliable as a fortune in a cookie from a Chinese restaurant at least it’s something). His traps weren’t quite as effective as they ought to have been, and his panicked shots go wide of head injuries. Then there’s the sound of a shotgun going off, and every single zom’s head explodes in a slurry of flesh, bone, and blood.Perhaps the Next Time Around by Morfinwen
She begins by chewing him out for letting them sneak up on him, criticizing his hideout and mocking his aim.
"Hey, I didn’t ask for your help,” he snaps, though he’s almost glad she didn’t expect a thank you. He doesn’t do gratitude very well.
Turns out she ran out of food two days ago. He gives her two bottles of water, and they share a can of Chef Boyardee’s finest ravioli. He doesn’t point out that she could have killed h
An Answer to an Unasked QuestionAn Answer to an Unasked QuestionAn Answer to an Unasked Question by Morfinwen
The cantina was too crowded for Meaghan Caoilfhionn's tastes, which is to say, there were more than three people in it. Apart from the bartender and the serving droid, there was a Wookiee, an Ithorian, two Rodians playing an increasingly unfriendly game of pazaak in the corner, and ... something, with blue hair, a synthflesh device over half the face and a very long double-edged vibroblade strapped to the back.
And her. Funny how with everything she had once been - Jedi Knight, decorated general, war hero, mass murderer, world-destroyer, exile, thief, stowaway, captain, bounty hunter, target, bodyguard, victim, card shark, mark, smuggler, slicer, anything and everything a sentient could do on the edges of known space - she didn't even feel comfortable in a bar any more. Being around other people felt a lot like getting entangled in the tendrils of a Manaan stringfish: stinging and irritation, followed by a tight binding feeling around t
If I Am Ever in a Detective StoryThe Detective's RulesIf I Am Ever in a Detective Story by Morfinwen
1. The importance of a piece of evidence is directly correlated to its apparent importance to my Assistant; the less importance he attaches, the more it will bear. Inversely, the pieces of evidence I consider most important will invariably be undervalued by the others. Never mind; this will only further establish my genius as a detective when I am, inevitably, proved right.
2. No matter what it is I am called in to investigate, murder will always be involved somehow. Always.
3. Everyone is to be suspected -- everyone; especially beautiful, unattached women or dashing, gentlemanly fellows who pine after me.
4. On my person I will always have the following items: pocket camera (with batteries and film if required), pencil and paper, flashlight, gloves, and trusty pistol or revolver, and a knife. The one time I forget or lose one of these items is the one time I will need
I'm not an artist - well, not a /good/ one - but i figure since so many of you are, i should make a profile so i can let you know how awesome you are.
I may or may not publish some stories at some later date.
* This is a word i have never used before and never will again.